Suspended cop and mom get bail on fraud charges

- Advertisement -

Assistant Superintendent of Police Ray John and his mother, Yvonne Nickie, were each granted  $50,000 bail this morning when they were taken to court on multiple fraud related charges.
John, who has been on suspension since April 13, and his mother, were each required to fork up $10,000 cash and get two sureties to sign for their bail.
While their case is pending, they must report everyday to Parham Police Station. Additionally, they had to surrender their travel documents to the court.
The mother and son face five joint counts of conspiracy to forge Antigua and Barbuda passports, contrary to Common Law.
John is separately charged with two counts of larceny of 54 multi-layered Infilling Sheets and one multi-layered Infilling patch, valued at EC$21,700, the property of the Antigua and Barbuda Passport Office. 
And, he’s also accused of receiving four multi-layered infilling sheets and one multi-layered infilling patch valued at EC$1,300, the property of the Antigua and Barbuda Passport Office, knowing same to have been stolen.
All the offences were allegedly committed between January and March this year.
John, 47, and Nickie, 63, were subjected to fingerprinting at St. John’s Police Station this morning before they were escorted to the St. John’s Magistrates’ court before Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh for the bail hearing.
They are now to return to court on July 11 for their next hearing.
The duo was represented by attorneys Dane Hamilton and Nelisa Spencer.
Around mid-April, the police pulled Nickie from a flight that was set to depart Antigua, just days after lawmen searched her son’s home in her presence and confiscated a number of items as evidence. 
During that search, ASP John and his elderly mom, who was in Antigua visiting him, were allegedly advised they would be required to give statements to the police at a later date. 
Nickie, nonetheless, later proceeded with her plans to return to her native land, St. Vincent, and that’s when she was stopped at the V.C. Bird International Airport and taken to Police Headquarters for questioning. 
The woman was advised not to leave the country thereafter, police sources said.
It was in early April that the police in St. Vincent intercepted a man with five bio pages of Antigua and Barbuda passports among other items, to include a large quantity of cash.
The police in that country have been collaborating with lawmen from Antigua and Barbuda since then, as fingers were pointed at ASP John.

- Advertisement -