Twenty-seven Dominicans are confirmed dead, 27 are confirmed missing, and 18 are unconfirmed missing, Daniel Carbon, Dominican police chief announced yesterday morning. The overwhelming majority of deaths were in Pointe Michel.
This number is an increase from the 15 deaths he confirmed last week. The police chief said the names of the deceased will be released within the next 24 hours. Carbon also said that none of the dead include police.
Carbon expressed his deepest condolences “to the persons and families who lost loved ones in Hurricane Maria,” a Category 5 storm that made landfall in Dominica on September 18.
He also gave an update on the looting and acts of violence amidst the recovery effort.
“Immediately following the passage of Hurricane Maria, we have had massive lootings,” he said. “Several businesses in Roseau and, to a lesser extent, the town of Portsmouth,” were the targets. In total, the police arrested 40 for looting and
86 were arrested for breaching the nationwide curfew from 4:00 pm to 8:00 am. Meanwhile, Davidson Valerie, deputy police chief, warned that compliance with the curfew would be strictly monitored. Valerie made an appeal to Dominican youth to desist from “mob- like” behaviour as the focus of police and security forces should be on rescue and relief of residents in need.
(More in today’s Daily Observer)