By Latrishka Thomas
A construction worker has been slapped with the maximum fine of $3,000 for dumping garbage in the Five Islands area.
When he appeared before St John’s Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Shawn Marsh pleaded guilty to depositing waste on a property between April 1 and April 30 this year.
Acting on a report, personnel from the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) checked the site east of the Royalton Resort where they found a vehicle’s licence plate and documents bearing an individual’s name, along with other quantities of household waste.
Thereafter, the person whose name was on the documents was questioned, and that individual informed the police that the defendant was the one who had collected the garbage.
The investigation led to the defendant being summoned and he admitted to committing the offence.
Marsh told the court yesterday that when he went to the Cooks landfill, he was told that it was closed.
“Everything happened fast,” he said.
“I know what I did was wrong,” he quickly added.
Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh imposed a $3,000 fine on Marsh, which he agreed to pay forthwith.
Should he fail to pay the fine, he will have to spend one year behind bars.
He was also warned not to commit any similar offence to which he replied, “I’m not taking up no more rubbish”.
Two other illegal dumping cases that went before the court on Monday were adjourned.
George Purcell is expected to appear in court on December 14 while Ramey Brown will return to court on January 28 2021.
According to the Litter Control and Prevention Act 2019, “a person commits an offence if that person deposits and leaves any litter or waste in any premises owned or occupied by another”.
Contravention of that law can result in a summary conviction where the guilty party would be required to pay up to $3,000, ordered to clean up the waste, or be imprisoned for up to one year.
In Marsh’s case, the site had already been cleaned because he could not be located at the time.