PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Aug 2, CMC – Atlantic LNG Wednesday confirmed that there had been a “hydrocarbon release” from its Point Fortin facility, south west of here that prompted the evacuation of its staff.
But it said that the matter had been brought under control as soon as possible”.
In a brief statement, the company which says it is one of the world’s largest producers of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from natural gas delivered from fields in and around Trinidad and Tobago, said its ‘response and safety systems immediately activated as per their design and all staff at the facility were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
“Within 20 minutes the incident was brought under control and technical teams are currently conducting checks. The all-clear was given and Atlantic is in the process of advising relevant stakeholders, including the Point Fortin Borough Corporation and the community,” the statement added.
But Point Fortin Mayor, Abdon Mason, told the Trinidad Express newspaper that the hydrocarbon release was first thought to be an explosion at one of the four trains.
“Atlantic did inform us of the situation. Using the layman’s terms it sounded like a gas leak … Initial reaction, they thought it was an explosion but an explosion comes with sound but that wasn’t the case. They have indicated to us that now the situation is under control.”
Mason told the newspaper that the incident was isolated to one of the four LNG trains and that “all other trains are in operation.
“They are on top of it so I feel comfortable that Atlantic is handling the situation … The train in question, activities have closed down for the day so that the situation could be brought to normalcy,” he said.