No date yet for Tabor’s lawsuit against gov’t

0
641
- Advertisement -

The attorney representing Senator Damani Tabor in his lawsuit against the state, said he has not yet heard anything about a date for the hearing which has been stalled since early December 2016.
Charlesworth Tabor said he had been hoping to hear from the court but in the absence of this, he plans to write to the court shortly to find out what, if anything, has been happening behind the scenes in preparation for the trial.
“I will officially write to the Registrar of the High Court to get an update on the status of the case. You will recall that this is a Constitutional Motion and therefore should be treated as a matter of urgency,” he said.
Tabor is suing the Commissioner of Police Wendel Robinson, Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh and the offices of the prime minister and attorney general for assault, battery, false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution and breach of his son’s constitutional rights.
The lawsuit stems from the circumstances surrounding Damani Tabor’s arrest and charges filed early last year for allegedly making false public statements about Citizenship by Investment funds going missing.
He filed the matter in September 30, 2016 was the first hearing where trial directions were given by Justice Darshan Ramdhani.
Tabor recalled, “However, Anthony Astaphan, SC, [who represented] the defendants, subsequently filed an application to strike out the claim on November 3, 2016.
On November 11, 2016 Tabor filed submissions in opposition to Astaphan’s application for the claim to be quashed.
A week later, Astaphan filed supplementary submissions and at the time, Tabor told OBSERVER media, “It would appear that there is some delaying tactics being employed in this matter, but the claimant will prevail eventually when the case is heard.”
When the application to strike out the case came up for hearing on December 3, 2016 the court was informed that Astapahn was ill and he would be on sick leave for the next three weeks.
As a result of this development, the application could not be heard and since Justice Ramdhani’s stint in Antigua came to an end in December, 2016 the court was forced to halt the case and assign it to another judge.
But Tabor said up to yesterday, he had not heard whether any judge had been assigned to the case and no date had been set.
Meanwhile, there’s no word yet on the outcome of the appeal by the commissioner of police against the dismissal of the charges against Tabor.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here