The swearing-in ceremony for Kiz Johnson, the independent senator appointed by Governor General Sir Rodney Williams took place at the Government House this morning,
Her appointment marks the seventh woman sworn into the Upper House of Parliament.
She gave her oath of allegiance during a brief ceremony at Government House this morning, surrounded by supportive family members, friends and colleagues.
The new Senate of Antigua and Barbuda has seen a reduction in female representation coming out of what was its largest number of female senators ever with nine of its seventeen members being women during the 2018-2022 period.
Senator Johnson succeeds the previous Governor General’s representative, Sen. Bakesha Francis-James who served since the 2018 general elections.
The current roster of females senators is as follows:
- Samantha N. Marshall – Leader of Government Business, Minister of State within the Ministry of Health, Wellness, Social Transformation & The Environment with responsibility for Social Transformation
- Alincia T.H. Williams-Grant – Government Senator
- Shenella M.S. Govia – Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Creative Industries & Sports
- Cheryl Mary-Clare Hurst – Deputy Leader of Government Business
- Knacyntar Nedd Charles – Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, Trade & Barbuda Affairs
- Shawn Nicholas – UPP Senator
- Kiz Johnson – Governor General’s Representative