Fire destroys home of bride to be and her 10 children

Residents gather around the scene of the fire in Green Bay Hill

Aduke Antoine was left shell-shocked and in tears on Friday evening as she tried to come to grips with the loss of her Gray’s Farm family home where she lived with her 10 children.

The tragedy came less than 24 hours before she was to tie the knot at the Multipurpose Cultural Center with a lover and partner of more than 17 years.

“Me min in de house. Me na kay wa people ga say. Me min in de house when me tap by de drawing room when me see de fire start come from outta de bedroom,” said Antoine, who revealed eight of her children were home with her at the time, with the eldest – 17 year old at work. Up to press time, her children Nicola, Chris, Jamie, Jerome, Tia, Tamera, Jason, Tina, Marcus, Mark and their father Valmore Hill were all left uncertain about a place to stay. Antoine revealed she managed to help all her

children escape harm.

“Me mek sure everybody get out. Me tell dem run out through de front door, because while dem a run outta de front door, me min dey a try get out the bed. Me min try save the house, but it min done too late,” said Antoine.

“Me supposed to get married tomorrow (today) but two house bu’n down. Me boyfriend uncle house and fu muh house with everything in there, so me appreciate all the help me can get because me supposed to get married tomorrow (today), and all de bridesmaids’ shoes, jewelry everything, ID, money everything get bu’n up in the house, TV everything, everything get bun up,” Antoine added. She stressed that all school uniforms, books, bags and everything necessary for the children to attend school were also lost in the fire and the home was not insured. She appealed for anyone who can assist her rebuild to contact her at 785 1420.

Meanwhile, neighbour Arlene Henry also appealed for assistance for Antoine and her family.

“She has 10 children, and she getting married tomorrow (today). She with the guy for 17 years, and she doesn’t have anywhere to stay now. It’s sad. It’s sad, because she keep calling and telling them (APUA) the box outside is sparkling,” said Henry who said her house was one away from the fire and was next in line had the fire spread.

Pin It

Community Rules

antiguaobserver.com is really happy to provide this forum in which all are encouraged to freely state their opinions without ridiculing anyone or being ridiculed. We've found that happens really easily if each comment is limited to the topic at hand. We will approve any comment that speaks solely to the story to which it is attached and is free from name calling and defamatory statements.

While we will not post comments questioning moderators' judgement, we will take such suggestions into consideration as possible ways to improve the experience of all community members. If you feel your submission has been disallowed unfairly or if a breech slips through our net, please let us know by e-mailing customer_support@antiguaobserver.com.