Public asked to practice fire-safety measures during festive season

0
365
- Advertisement -

A recent fire has prompted a fire official to urge residence to exercise fire safety measures this festive season.
A senior fire officer who could not be named because he is not authorised to speak with the media, told OBSERVER media that people should be mindful of the protection of their property and regardless of the circumstances surrounding the carnival season people should still be conscious and practice good fire safety measures.
He said people should be alert and not leave unattended, any sort of electrical appliance such as fans, microwave or irons running because those can cause fires.
His call came on the heels of a fire at Warren Street in Ottos on Monday evening to which officers responded shortly after 8:00 p.m., but were unable to save the one-bedroom wooden structure which was destroyed by the fire.
The fire officer said, at the time of the fire, electricity was attached to the building and the matter is currently being investigated.
The house was owned by Danny Bonny and was at the time occupied by his brother, John Miller.
So far, this year, the fire service has responded to 26 house fires, a figure which is nine up from this time last year, which recorded a total of 17.
There has been a total of 342 grass fires to which the fire service has responded, so far, this year. According to the fire officer, if the drought persists, last year’s figure of 432 may be surpassed.
The public is also being urged to practice good housekeeping measures which include ensuring that the area where they dwell is free from garbage and combustibles are properly stored away.
The fire prevention unit has been making visits to different communities educating people on fire safety measures.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here