29.5 C
St John's
Thursday, 23 September, 2021
HomeThe Big StoriesNumerous sexual offences cases set for trial in July

Numerous sexual offences cases set for trial in July

The month of July will see several sexual offences cases being called in the High Court for trial.

Yesterday, many men were arraigned and told the court that they did not commit the sexual offences that they are charged with.

One man, represented by Attorney Leon Chaku Symister told High Court Judge Colin Williams that he did not have sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old as the indictment claims.

His trial was set for July 5.

Also, on that day, another individual will appear for trial after he pleaded not guilty to two counts of indecent assault and one count of serious indecency.

It is believed that on March 18, 2019 at Cassada Gardens, he kissed an 11-year-old girl, touched her privates and her breasts.

He, too, was represented by Symister.

Then on July 19, a man accused of raping a woman on June 8, 2019, will stand trial, while another who allegedly had sex with a 12-year-old girl on two occasions in 2019, will also appear.

Those two men were represented by attorney Wendel Robinson.

These and all other trials will proceed once the court is able to have jury trials, or if the Criminal Proceedings Bill which makes it possible for some trials to be done with a judge alone, is passed.

The bill was passed in Parliament last week and will go before the Senate on May 19.

If it is passed by the Upper House, it will then be gazetted.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

sixteen − 6 =

- Advertisment -

Most Popular