Francis Tweets ‘I’m Out’; Fenton Says ‘No Decision Yet’

Miguel Francis (center), tweeted on Thursday that he will not compete in the Rio Olympics due to injury.

Antigua & Barbuda’s Chef de Mission to the ongoing Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, said there has been no official decision on the participation of sprinter Miguel Francis.

Neville Fenton’s declaration came just one day after the 200 meters specialist tweeted that he would not be competing in the Games due to injury.

The athlete, who is also an integral part of the country’s 4X1 relay team tweeted on Thursday night: “Won’t be competing at the Olympics. My injury isn’t so serious, but I won’t get 100 [per cent] by net Tuesday. Can’t risk it and damage my career.”

When contacted, however, Fenton said he was unaware of any decision to pull the sprinter from the Olympics, and added that there will be a final consultation with both the team’s doctor and physio on Monday.

Efforts to reach the athlete via social and other media proved futile.

News surfaced on Wednesday that the athlete had picked up a “slight strain” and had been undergoing treatment in an attempt rectify the problem.

President of the Antigua & Barbuda Athletics Association (ABAA) Everton Cornelius, said Francis had been unable to train fully since the injury, but that he had been responding well to therapy.

Should the athlete be unable to compete, alternate Jared Jarvis would take his place in the 4X1 relay team alongside Daniel Bailey, Cejhae Greene and Chevaughn Walsh.

Francis has been listed as one of the country’s favourites for a possible medal at the Games, given his achievements during the athletic year so far.

He clocked 19.67 in the 200 meters during the National Championships held in July after running 20.16 at the Cayman Invitational held in May.

Francis is due to run the 200 meters heats on August 16 with the first race scheduled for 10:50 am while the relays begin two days later on August 18.