Classes at AGS dismissed early after fire

- Advertisement -

Classes are expected to resume today after an electrical fire at the Antigua Grammar School (AGS) forced an early dismissal yesterday.
Principal Samuel Roberts confirmed that a fire started at about 9 a.m. in the main electrical panel, resulting in the loss of power.
The blaze was quickly put out by an electrician teacher who used an installed fire extinguisher.
Roberts added that the electricity feedback also blew out the Antigua Public Utilities Authorities (APUA) transformer on Teachers’ Lane.
At about 11 a.m. after consulting the Ministry of Education, Roberts said classes were dismissed because the loss of power meant that there would be no water on the compound because the water pump requires electricity to work.
The Ministry of Education said in a media release that electricity from the lamp pole reportedly backed up to the school’s circuits, causing a power outage. It added that there were no reported injuries or damage.
“As a pre-caution, school was dismissed at 11 a.m., and officials from the APUA, the Board of Education and the Ministry of Works [were] assessing the situation,” the ministry said.

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

seventeen − 13 =