Christmas Kettle Appeal launches this week

Source: salarmychicago.org

The Salvation Army and its many volunteers will be ringing their bells until Christmas Eve at all kettle sites across the island after the launch of the annual drive this coming Friday.

The Christmas Kettle, the organisation’s biggest yearly fund raising activity, provides funds towards the collection, purchasing and packaging of food baskets, toys and clothing and other necessities for thousands of less fortunate residents of Antigua and Barbuda.

Over the past five years, the non-profit organisation has set their target amount to $150,000, while they fell way below the threshold some years, Divisional Commander Major Brenda Greenidge said they are hoping to do better this time around.

“In 2016, we came pretty close to meeting our target, last year the focus was on Barbuda so we came very low. We are still at $150,000 and we hoping that we will be able to reach our target. In 2019 we will be exploring additional ways to raise funds,” Major Greenidge said during an interview on OBSERVER AM.

Monies raised from the appeal also go towards food hampers for the sick-and-shut-in, a Christmas Dinner for the homeless, residents of the Fiennes Institute, and Clarevue Psychiatric Hospital.

The kettle appeal will run concurrently with the Letter Appeal to business places. Divisional Secretary Major Raymondcil Pierre is appealing to business owners, who have not yet received a letter, to contact the organisation at its Long Street office to make a request. 

He also said the organisation welcomes donation from anyone at any time of the year. The kettle appeal will be launched Friday morning at the Epicurean Supermarket on Friars Hill Road. 

Following the launch, kettles will be placed at major business places in and around the city of St. John’s as well as supermarkets.

The appeal will end on December 24.