Christmas Day shooting victim recovering 6 months on

- Advertisement -

On Christmas Day last year, 37-year-old Christopher Tester of the United Kingdom was shot in the head during an attempted robbery at his parents’ bar and restaurant the Boxer Shack in Old Road.
Six months on his parents shared an update on his recovery with the 1,728 people who helped raise £107,612 to support his medical evacuation and treatment in the UK.
Below is the full message from the family:
Dear all,
It has now been 6 months since Chris was flown back to the UK.  Myself, my wife, Chris and the rest of our family will always be thankful and grateful for everybody’s generosity and kindness shown when raising money for Chris to enable him to be firstly transferred by air ambulance to Gaudeloupe to be stabilised and then on to the UK.
Upon his return Chris was treated in hospital in Plymouth where he made good progress and was then transferred to a rehabilitation hospital nearby. Unfortunately when undergoing a routine CT scan it was discovered  that Chris had an air leak in his skull which meant he needed a 7 hour long operation to repair the leak to avoid air ingress and possible infection to his brain.
This was a very trying time for Chris as during the on going weeks he was in a lot of pain due to the removal and replacement of part of his skull.
Chris came home on his birthday at the end of February. Thanks to all of you, we were able to use the additional raised money to make adaptations to the house to make it more comfortable and adaptable for him now that he is totally blind in both eyes.
Chris is still struggling to come to terms with his blindness which is to be expected. He has overtime started to venture out and walks daily with his mum and has even tried swimming and spinning. Chris enjoys playing his guitar and a friend of ours comes around weekly to give him guitar lessons, he has also just started to play his Ukulele again with is another positive step.
We’ll leave you with a couple of photos of Chris at his sister’s wedding, which took place a couple of months ago. It goes without saying, it was a very emotional day.
Thank you all again for everything, we are truly grateful.
Love Tony & Gill

See background below:

- Advertisement -