By Theresa Goodwin
With just over two months to go before Carnival 2022, work is yet to begin at the historic Antigua Recreation Ground (ARG) – the host venue for the festival which is returning after a two-year hiatus.
Interim Cabinet spokesperson Dean Jonas told media last week that the government still intends to utilise the venue for this year’s Carnival festivities.
Chief of Staff in the Prime Minister’s Office Lionel Hurst also confirmed yesterday that Public Works Department staff will be carrying out repairs which he said should be completed in a timely manner.
Most of the stands at the ground, which has served as the venue for many national and international events over the years, remain in a dilapidated state.
The famed double-decker stand appears to be the worst of all. It has been poised for demolition for more than a year, and vendors operating within the area were due to be relocated to facilitate the process.
Despite several pronouncements from the government, demolition is yet to begin. The vendors have also complained that new booths erected for them are too small.
This year’s Carnival – dubbed ‘the Caribbean’s greatest summer festival’ – will be held from July 27 to August 2.