Benjamin: I Hold No Malice, Time To Move On

0
10
- Advertisement -

By Neto Baptiste

Former coach of the Leeward Islands Hurricanes Winston Benjamin said he holds no malice against the Leeward Islands Cricket Board (LICB) after the body confirmed on Wednesday that former West Indies opening batsman Stuart Williams would replace him as coach of the sub-regional cricket team.

Speaking with Observer media, Benjamin said his only concern is the manner in which the process was handled.

“It is what it is, I have no hard feelings; but, as I said, I am just disappointed in the way in which it was done because the person who is the chairman of the selectors and the person who applied for the job in 2017 is now the head coach of the said franchise. But it is what it is and we can only move forward,” he said.

Benjamin, also a former West Indies player, was amongst three shortlisted for the job after he had taken the Hurricanes to a third-place finish in the Regional 4 Day Championships earlier this year.

Benjamin had earlier said he felt that he had done enough and had earned an opportunity to carry on the work he started.

He said it is sad that the board did not share his view.

“Its cricket, it’s coaching and you’re depending on somebody to actually side with your side of the bargain; so, in other words, whatever you do and in your eyes if it is not good enough they can always change and get somebody else … It is not a surprise to me, but I am a bit disappointed in the way in which things are done … Leeward Islands cricket is not mine,” the coach said. 

The former Leeward Islands and West Indies fast bowler said he will take a brief break before pursuing other avenues.

“Winston Benjamin is always a hard worker and maybe I may just take a break for a month or two, get everything into perspective and then go back to do what I am doing and also reopening my academy I had prior to leaving in 2017. So I am going to be still working with kids and that is what I like doing. I like working with children and people on a whole. So for me, it might be a blessing in disguise that I am back on base now and working with the youngsters in Antigua as well,” he said.

Williams was given a two-year contract after the board finalised his position during a meeting held on Tuesday.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here