CARICOM saddened by Haitian incident

(Source: http://gmsagy.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/larocque.jpg)

(Source: http://gmsagy.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/larocque.jpg)

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, Feb 20, CMC – Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretary General Irwin LaRocque says he is saddened by the unfortunate incident that resulted in the deaths of 16 people during the Carnival celebrations earlier this week.

“This tragic incident which occurred in the early hours of the morning of Tuesday, 17 February is made all the more painful given the joyous atmosphere which descends on the capital and the merriment which consumes the populace during this major cultural event,” LaRocque said in a condolence message to President Michel Martelly.

At least 16 people were confirmed dead and 78 injured when a float hit a high voltage power line. The government, which announced a cancellation of the last day of the Carnival, has also declared three days national mourning to pay tribute to the victims whose national funeral will be held on February 21.
“”The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is deeply saddened by the unfortunate event,” LaRocque said, adding “we join with the families who have lost loved ones in sharing their sorrow and hope for a speedy recovery of the many other persons who were injured.

“The Community extends its condolences to the bereaved families and to the Government and People of Haiti as they cope with this distressing incident. We know that the resilience of the Haitian people will give them the strength to overcome this time of pain and bereavement,” he added.

On Tuesday, President Martelly, Prime Minister Evans Paul and several other people including artists attended a silent parade and laid flowers on the site where the incident took place.

Pin It